Friday, April 20, 2012

A Love Like That


Reflections amid the saltiness of the Dead Sea, Syria - Dec 2007

I know my posts are dishing out to be very sappy off late. I will redeem myself soon, however in the meantime a man wins my admiration. His name is John Steinbeck.

And I quote from the all-resourceful Wikipedia:

In 1962, Steinbeck won the Nobel Prize for literature for his 'realistic and imaginative writing, combining as it does sympathetic humor and keen social perception'. On the day of the announcement when he was asked by a reporter at a press conference given by his publisher, if he thought he deserved the Nobel, he said: "Frankly, no".

In his acceptance speech later in the year in Stockholm, he said:

"The writer is delegated to declare and to celebrate man's proven capacity for greatness of heart and spirit—for gallantry in defeat, for courage, compassion and love. In the endless war against weakness and despair, these are the bright rally flags of hope and of emulation. I hold that a writer who does not believe in the perfectibility of man has no dedication nor any membership in literature." 

Swatcat, my model and friend, shared a quote this morning. Honestly, other than Khalil Gibran , no other author wins my fancy. However I must admit Steinberg earns my respect for wonderfully describing Love in a note to his son and he moves me enough to want to share with you as well -

There are several kinds of love. One is a selfish, mean, grasping, egotistical thing which uses love for self-importance. This is ugly and crippling kind. The other is an outpouring of everything good in you - of kindness and consideration and respect - not only the social respect of manners but the greater respect which is recognition of another person as unique and valuable. The first kind make you sick and small and weak but the second can release in you strength, and courage and goodness even wisdom you didn't know you had.

I have been fortunate to know a love like that.

Share with you an interesting piece from Travis , I really like the video -


No comments:

Post a Comment